Tuesday, January 7, 2014

What Will Sunday Morning Look Like?

Okay, so we all know that church shouldn't really be all about what happens on Sunday morning, but let's face facts.  What happens in the weekend service is the face of the church for a lot of people, and when you talk about starting something new, one of the first questions is, "What will services be like?"

So, without having all of the details, let's spend this post talking about what we think Sundays will look like in Janesville.  I've gotten a few questions, so we'll make this a Q&A thing.

Q:  If this is a "satellite campus," will all the sermons be of David Clark on video?
A:  One of the things we never want to lose is the sense that our church is one church, in both Beloit and Janesville.  Using video sermons on a regular basis will help us do that to a degree that other options won't.  At the same time, we want to create an identity of our own as a congregation within the church.  So, we will most likely start with almost exclusively video sermons, and work our way into finding a healthy balance between having our own unique services with live teaching and staying connected to the church through video teaching.



Q:  What will Erik's role be in worship services?
A:  While I'm excited to get back to leading worship on a regular basis, I'm also excited to get the chance to preach regularly.  I will begin by leading worship weekly, but eventually build teams to the point where I can take breaks to preach once or twice a month.  I will also be the Lead Campus Pastor, overseeing the leadership team and serving as the point-leader for the entire effort.


Q:  Will there be Kid's Ministry?
A:  YES!  This is a simple one to answer, but a very complex one to make happen.  I'm thankful for Robin Benskin and Joseph Roth, who will give us insight into all of this.  I'm also convinced that God will raise up just the right volunteer leadership.  One of my concerns is that we will only have one worship service to begin with, and the last thing I want is for people who are involved in Kidzworks to feel left out of our community.  Our goal will be to recruit three full volunteer teams, so any one volunteer never serves more than every third week.

Q:  What kinds of teams will we need for Sunday mornings?
A:  Some of that depends on where we end up (see our last post).  Most likely, we will be mobile, requiring a setup and tear-down team.  We'll also need Guest Relations, Worship, Production, Kidzworks, Hospitality, and probably more that I can't think of right now.  There will be no shortage of places for anyone and everyone to serve.

I hope that answers some of your questions about what our services will be like when we launch in October.  I honestly can't wait to get started, but the next 9 months are going to be filled with a lot of work and a lot of fun.  Make sure you take the whole ride with us, beginning with our first meeting on Sunday, January 26th, @6pm at Edison Middle School in Janesville.


This is what I foresee it looking like.  What do you think?  Do you have any ideas for how our services can be different or new?  Tell us what you think in the comments below. 

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering about Kidzworks and how that would work. Glad to hear we will have that ministry. Can't wait to see how God brings the volunteer teams together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very excited for this new adventure. Although I am new to CCC I know that this is my church and hear Him directing me to serve at the Janesville location. I look forward to the meeting Sunday.

    ReplyDelete